Friday, March 28, 2008

NIMAS



This is a picture of the village I teach in here in Alaska. Thought everyone might enjoy a picture taken during the summer.

Now back to NIMAS which is "the National Instructional Materials Accessibility Standard (NIMAS). The NIMAS guides the production and electronic distribution of digital versions of textbooks and other instructional materials so they can be more easily converted to accessible formats, including braille and text-to-speech" (CAST, 2008). This is important because all currently copyrighted material must be sent here so the needs of visually disabled students are met and as a teacher I was unaware of this.
So far in just a few weeks, I've learned so much and this will allow me to be a better teacher. I'll know what is available when I get the two visually disabled students in my class.

CAST, (2008). NIMAS at CAST: NIMAS development & technical assistance centers. Retrieved March 28, 2008, from NIMAS at CAST Web site: http://nimas.cast.org/

No comments: